- Kamala Harris uses casting vote to pass resolution
- Pelosi says House will pass coronavirus relief by end of the month
- US records more than 5,000 Covid deaths in single day
- US economy adds 49,000 jobs as Biden aims for further relief
- Sign up to receive First Thing – our daily briefing by email
The White House coronavirus response team is now holding a briefing to provide an update on vaccine distribution.
Andy Slavitt, a senior White House adviser on the pandemic response, announced that the defense department has approved sending more than 1,000 active-duty personnel to support vaccine distribution.
Democrats are pointing to this morning’s grim jobs report to make the case for Joe Biden’s $1.9 trillion coronavirus relief package.
“The latest jobs report is another confirmation that Americans need relief now—and that’s why Senate Democrats took a big first step toward passing a historic COVID relief package early this morning, with Vice President Kamala Harris casting the deciding vote,” Jaime Harrison, the chairman of the Democratic National Committee, said in a statement.