UK Labour leader calls for lockdown as daily cases near 60,000; India approves Oxford/AstraZeneca and Bharat Biotech vaccines
- Coronavirus restrictions ‘probably about to get tougher’, says Boris Johnson
- Parents face week of uncertainty over school reopenings in England
- Pope condemns travelling abroad to escape coronavirus lockdowns
- ‘The numbers are real’: Fauci hits back at Trump on US Covid deaths
- See all our coronavirus coverage
The angst-laden ballads of Lewis Capaldi were the biggest soundtrack of pandemic Britain, industry figures for 2020 show, as streaming of music shot up by more than 20% in lockdown.
Streaming accounted for more than 80% of overall music consumption in the UK last year, when people listened to 139bn audio streams, up from 114bn in 2019. CD sales fell by almost a third year on year, although the fringe market in vinyl and even audio cassettes continued to rise.
Related: UK music streaming hits a high note amid the lows of Covid
New Zealand has further tightened border controls amid mounting anxiety about the new strain of coronavirus driving up infections overseas.
Six cases of the new variant of the virus – five in arrivals from the UK and one from South Africa – were recorded in managed isolation facilities in the two weeks leading up to Christmas.
Related: New Zealand tightens border again amid fears over new Covid strain