- Americans head to the polls in large numbers on election day
- Polls have shown steady lead for Joe Biden over Donald Trump
- What time results are expected – and what to watch for
- Donald Trump: could the president refuse to accept defeat?
- Millions of Americans line up to vote on historic day
Richard Luscombe reports from Miami:
Florida governor Ron DeSantis, a keen Trump ally, ordered national guard troops to spread across the state in anticipation of any election day violence. But as polling entered its final hours on Tuesday afternoon, officials reported a “smooth” day of voting with no incidents.
It is 6 pm ET, so the first polls are now closing in Indiana and Kentucky.
Some polling stations in Indiana and Kentucky will remain open for another hour, depending on which time zone they fall in.