Latest updates: Whitty says doing nothing would lead to emergency care shortages; SNP fury at lack of firm commitment on furlough
- England lockdown will end on 2 December, Johnson insists
- Sharma faces safety questions as staff member tests positive
- £45m deal for NHS masks collapses amid fraud claims
- Ministers add to confusion over England lockdown rules
- Global coronavirus updates – live
Graham Stringer (Lab) is asking the questions now.
Q: Was it sensible to show the graph showing 4,000 deaths a day without caveats?
I hope not. And that’s certainly not the aim.
Q: What impact will the tier 2 and tier 3 restrictions have?
Whitty says he is confident tier 2 will have an effect, and tier 3 a bigger effect.
R, or the ‘effective reproduction number’, is a way of rating a disease’s ability to spread. It’s the average number of people on to whom one infected person will pass the virus. For an R of anything above 1, an epidemic will grow exponentially. Anything below 1 and an outbreak will fizzle out – eventually.