Macron tells France ‘we have to act’ … WHO warns mass vaccination will not be fast, young people may have to wait to 2022 … Merkel urges young Germans to fight Covid. Follow latest updates
- French cities given curfew; Italy breaks March record
- IMF urges governments to borrow to fight impact of Covid-19
- Barron Trump tested positive for coronavirus, Melania Trump reveals
- UK: ministers and north of England leaders clash over further restrictions
- See all our coronavirus coverage
Hello and welcome to the Guardian’s live coverage of the coronavirus pandemic, with me, Alison Rourke.
France has imposed curfews while other European nations are closing schools, cancelling surgeries and enlisting student medics as overwhelmed authorities face a Covid-19 resurgence at the onset of winter. With new cases hitting about 100,000 daily, Europe has by a wide margin overtaken the United States in new daily infections.