London mayor says ‘highly likely’ capital will face extra measures soon; Sturgeon concedes new Scotland cafe rules have caused confusion
- Sunak plans 80% furlough wage extension in local lockdown areas
- Keir Starmer blasts ‘Whitehall knows best’ Covid attitude
- Hospitals in north of England ‘to run out of Covid beds within a week’
- Scotland’s drinking ban in chaos over meaning of cafe
- Global coronavirus updates – live
Scientists advising the Government said the current R value – the number of people an infected person will pass coronavirus on to – for the UK is between 1.2 and 1.5.
This is down slightly on last week when it was between 1.3 and 1.6.
The Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (Sage) estimates the number of new infections is growing by between 4% and 9% every day.
The Mayor of London Sadiq Khan said the it “highly likely” London would face new stricter Covid restrictions soon.
Khan said “we are at a very serious tipping point. The virus is accelerating in every part of London.”